View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 10:16 PM   #29
naloth

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
I made a Venn Diagram which gives the relationship between Super, Mutant, Psionic, and Mutant Psionic. According to that, the Mutant Psionic is the one affected by the most countermeasures, being bounded by Mutant and Psionic, which are both subsets of Super (there are psis who are not mutants, after all). However, according to Powers, page P25, the listed numbers are by the RAW; it's not the number of countermeasures in relation to the other power modifiers that determines the price, but the kinds of countermeasures. Mutant Biology is the odd man out;
If you're going for an earlier era Marvel (say up to the 90s), Mutant would either be worth more or Super less.

If you're making Super and Mutant equivalent (either by having the same countermeasures or the same type) then they should cost the same. If there are more or more common countermeasures, it's worth a different amount.

As per Powers it's both the frequency and type of countermeasures. Rare tech is worth less than common tech. Consider vampire hunters. They have lots of specialized countermeasures but they aren't hard to get your hands on if you are hunting vampires. If you can arm for anti-mutant fights than it's a bigger disad.

Quote:
post-Reboot, Angel's wings and Beast's physiology cannot be negated; they're physical mutations on the normal human frame, and act more like wild advantages than anything else.
Which reboot? (era? date? yours?) Beast's and Angel's abilities have always been negated by Leech and presumably a techo device would work as well.

Quote:
Detection, at least from what I'm reading in Powers, does not affect the power modifier.
By itself it's probably not worth anything. As part of the Sentinel search and destroy grid (where you can come under attack for just having a power) it's probably worth something.

Quote:
And universal power dampeners exist in the Marvel Universe; they're what the Vault uses to keep their non-mutant superhumans under control. (Forge's neutralizer gun was said to work on mutants and non-mutants alike; it was only fired once before it was destroyed at someone who only happened to be a mutant, and its effects proved temporary anyways.)
Need to check your source. Nearly every villain had a custom designed cell. Check the West Coast Avenger's Annual #1 where each Avenger is stored in a unique way.

As for power dampeners, I don't recall any that were combat useful. They could be used against mutants in combat, but regular supers could only be disabled with plenty of time to calibrate a device for them.

Quote:
Interesting thought on Magical matching Super, although I wouldn't actualy call Dr. Strange's astral projection and hypnosis powers "super". Marvel magic is often difficult to pin down, true.
I meant advantage based, though there's little difference (other than the sheer quantity of powers he displays) between his abilities and other super poewrs.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote