View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 04:59 PM   #5
Icelander

Default Re: USMC Minutiae for Marine Character Background

Hey, thanks for answering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revshafer View Post
Everyone moves. You don't always stay in your MOS but you have to do other duties. May have to recruit or train.
Ok, cool.

About how long is each duty assignment, generally?

And what are the major training jobs that exceptional Recon Marines might be assigned to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revshafer View Post
If you're great at your job you may no longer do it. You might teach or get pulled to do something else. Had two snipers on last deployment who worked logistics.
The NPCs I'm mostly detailing are 'Night Riders' (Monster Hunters), recruited in secret by friends and fellow veterans to fight against a hidden occult threat. Only those who have world-class willpower, strength of character and mental adaptability (in GURPS terms, have high IQ and very high Will) would be considered.*

So, I'm thinking about what kind of careers those who stand out even among exceptional Marines might have. From what research I've done I get the feeling that the 'reward' for excelling is often training duty, passing on skills and experience to the new generation.

At what point in the career of an exceptional Recon Marine are they likely to be promoted out of the jobs they want to do, so they'd perhaps be more receptive to overtures from old friends working in the private sector?

They'd be encouraged to remain in the USMCR, but while they'd officially be security consultants, their real jobs would be protecting civilians from supernatural threats that the authorities either didn't know about or didn't accept.

*It's not as if only Marines are recruited, but I'm asking about the Marines in this particular thread. They recruit from any and all branches, as well as from other militaries where the Patron has contacts and even people from other backgrounds (a lot of jobs aren't front-line operators, after all).

Last edited by Icelander; 03-31-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote