View Single Post
Old 01-27-2023, 08:06 PM   #8
mburr0003

Default Re: Complimentary Skill Rolls for Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
So if you're uncertain about that Survival roll to forage for food and you want to boost your chances, and you think you might want to use your Tracking-16, Stealth-14, Bow-14, Camouflage-11, etc., you could roll against as many as you like - but at -1 for the second, -2 for the third, etc.
A better and simpler choice is to cumulatively penalize all Complimentary Rolls equally, based on -1 per Skill after the first Complimentary Skill.

So if you want to use Tracking, Stealth, Bow, and Camouflage to assist a Survival roll, it's a -3 roll to Tracking, Stealth, Bow, and Camouflage.

Nice, simple, no "escalation" of risk, and it's an "all in" type thing.

For me, I always say 'No' to "Can I use more than one of my skills as a Complimentary Skill?", unless it's a Long Task, but even then, it's only 1 Complimentary Skill per skill roll the PC is making. Because if you don't, you will start getting the Bard* making an obscene number of Complimentary rolls to drive the primary skill into the heavens, which, let's face it, they usually don't need to do anyway as they generally socially outgun the opposition.

* Or Scout who feeds an army off of one Survival check per day due to rolling 6+ Complimentary Skills. Or anyone else with a non-combat skill check.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote