View Single Post
Old 07-20-2021, 06:18 AM   #10
Tymathee

Location: I'd rather be alone than be with people who make me feel alone.
Default Re: Technique: Cutting Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
FWIW, the realistic version of Fortune Telling skill focuses on Cold Reading techniques, although it's more focused on using cold reading for purposes of satisfying clients.
Hmm, somewhat tangential thoughts related to this, I don't think fortune tellers are necessarily con-artists. They're more like career/life counselors more than anything, with a supposed paranormal twist. Their intentions seem to be largely benign, unless they're truly set on selling you a pack of conveniently believable lies.

Cynicism dictates Cold Reading is more often than not used with malicious intent, but it couldn't hurt to be optimistic. One of my old high schools taught a interpersonal communications class and I feel like this ought to be a skill worth teaching. The world would be a better place if we all knew how to understand each other better. Teenagers are stereotypically callous though, I couldn't help but worry that they'd weaponize it for even more deeply cutting bullying.
"Mom's resentful that she has to work so hard, which obscures her guilt about actually wanting to work so hard. Dad's guilty about being less driven than mom, but thinks it's wrong to feel that way, so he hides behind a smokescreen of cluelessness. Quinn wears superficiality like a suit of armor, because she's afraid of looking inside and finding absolutely nothing. And I'm so defendant that I actively work to make people dislike me so I won't feel bad when they do. Can I go now?" - Daria Morgendorffer
Tymathee is offline   Reply With Quote