View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 04:18 PM   #5
Witchking

Default Re: what does a recently founded fantasy city look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwcain View Post
A few ideas off the top of my head...

1. Since it's a coastal location (per OP), give it a set of simple wharfs and/or piers, with some small-ish storage buildings (more barn-sized than true warehouses, at least for now).

Hope this helps.
Franklin
Historically 90+% of Coastal Cities get founded where a river empties into the ocean. Benefits of Ocean/Coastal trade and trade from the watershed of the river. River also a source of fresh water and has other benefits.

Washington D.C., New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Richmond, New Haven, San Fransisco, Seattle, New Orleans, Mobile, for the US just off the top of my head.

Just a Geo/Historical note...only question for the GM would be 'Is the population density such that all such good spots were already gone?' Cities and towns tend to start at those locations first. As the population rises even coastline without useful rivers, estuaries, bays and habors eventually fill in.