View Single Post
Old 05-27-2021, 11:22 AM   #14
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Mind Control

I've seen this ability in lots of games, both as a player and as a GM. Its lots of fun. Its game-warping, but its supposed to be game warping, and I've never felt that its "broken", "too cheap", or even "too expensive". I think that mentally I use it as a benchmark for how much powers are "supposed" to cost.

Mind Control has lots of different modifiers, and they tend to be pretty robust, letting lots of different mind control builds be made. I find that modifiers to make it permenant or to make it fire and forget work best.

Mind Control Characters work best when they have a strong sense of direction that trains their abilities in a specific direction. And I think mind controlling other player's characters, especially for more than a few seconds, is a similar offense to attacking them with any other ability.

My first ever Gurps character was a not-ISWAT telepath specializing in mind control. He was fun to play, but the mind control was a little too slow for the pace the GM threw at us.

I'm currently running a game in PbP (dreadstormers) in which mind control is a huge element of the game.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote