View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #68
Icelander

Default Blades for Brazilian Monster Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empada View Post
the generic term would be Facão (big knife), the Peixeira is a fish knife, but the name get very popular in Nordeste (northeast) region during the Cangaço (Brazilian western, with less guns and more Peixeras). Also, you can have a kitchen Peixeira, very simple knife good to cut everything and people here just call it knife, and a Peixeira you keep with you like a machete when going outside (not in a city, of course). The blade quality can be good or bad, but it normally has fine details on the handle and a matching scabbard, it also can have a size of a knife to a size of a machete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip Boy View Post
In fact, peixeira is more like a Large Knife. It has this name because it was originally developed to cut fish - the portuguese word for fish is PEIXE. (https://www.google.com/search?q=peix...w=1366&bih=625). In some regions, however, this is a cultural slang for machete.

A proper machete is what we call a "facão" - the literal translation is "Big Knife", but it is the same as a machete. (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...67.5v1gWPeAak8)

That aside, I do not know about using specific training of these weapons in the army. I believe there is training in melee weapons, but as far as I'm concerned, it takes the north american mold of CQB with the more proeminent use of jungle knives. The use of BJJ, of course, is widespread here as well.
It's interesting that the 'Peixeras' should be a fish knife, considering that the monsters and supernatural entities seem to come out of the Vile Vortex at sea outside of Rio de Janeiro and that one of the main threats (in that they seem to have some sort of inimical strategy) are Deep One analogues from beneath the depths.

I'm thinking that all Brazilian monster hunters should carry blades, with a fair number of them assigning them a quasi-mystical role, grasping the iron to 'ground' hostile magic or to help them resist spiritual influences.

I want to have different groups carrying different styles of blades, using different terms for them. Any suggestions for which military or police units might use which types of blades and what they'd call them?