View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 07:11 AM   #64
Icelander

Default Distinctions Between Policia Militar and Policia Civil Tactical Teams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip Boy View Post
I think that your vision described above hits the bullseye of our generalized and stereotyped views here as well. I am not a military man, and though I have few military friends, in my opinion, you have guessed right. We have basically three types of police in Brazil: Civilian, Federal and Military. They would fit the standard you described, with the Military Police being the worst prepared (just look at the number of deaths it causes each year!), and the most subject to superstitions and religious dogmas without justification.
I think I grasp the general distinction between Policia Civil and Policia Militar forces.

I'm wondering about some subleties, such as Policia Civil units that seem to be trained and equipped like tactical units in Policia Militar forces. How are the tactical units of Policia Civil forces perceived?

In other words, do people consider there to be some kind of difference between the elite military policemen that make up a unit like the PMERJ BOPE and the tactically-trained civil police that make up teams like PCERJ CORE?

Are all the CORE members college-educated? Have they experience as detectives before joining the tactical team?

Does CORE carry out significantly different tasks than BOPE? More targeted, perhaps, focused on the arrests of targets of prior investigations, rather than more general raids into favelas to disperse drug traffickers and seize territory in no-go areas?

Is either unit regarded as more capable or dangerous than the other? Scarier?