View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #55
Black Leviathan

Default Re: Create Food and it's effect on infrastructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
But the OP stated that "people" began using magic to create food. I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that that meant all or most "people" being able to create food, i.e. High to Very High Mana and common to very common Magery (or the possibility for non-mages to cast spells).
Every magic system I've seen applies a limiter to use, be it spell slots, Fatigue Points, Mana Points, Blood Pool, etc. Even if every person can create food magically it is still a finite resource. Creating food means sacrificing other things you'd be doing with magic like cleaning your house or silencing your spouse in an argument or casting the orgasm spell. Casting could also be time consuming or could consume resources that are useful, like rare spell components or your blood. It might be a useful spell for making a big family dinner, but too expensive or time consuming to cast for a quick snack.

Depending entirely on the overall cost of a Create Food Spell and who can cast it, the magic could either push a society into a post-scarcity existence or have zero impact on infrastructure and barely any fashion impact on society.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote