View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 08:23 AM   #2
DemiBenson

Default Re: Gurps: The Mandalorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
So, I viewed with the last ep of season 2 about a week ago and have been contemplating various things and how they would fit into Gurps since.

We can start with a biggie:Beskar armor. What is it? It's a thing that looks like a Combat Hardsuit but has not been seen to be penetrated yet. I think the most powerfula ttack we've seen Mando's armor stop so far would be Ahsoka Tano's lightsabres.
I’ve been thinking about that, too.
What I’ve come up with is: beskar has Hardened 100 vs energy weapons. It’s also tougher than the usual armor plating material (IDHMBWM, so no stats), but it has a CF of +999 based mostly on rarity. Once Mando has the beskar and gives it to the smith, it costs him nothing to have formed because he’s a member of a religious order.

Quote:
We start out with a difficult to prove assumption that a SW "lightsabre" equals a Gurps "Force Sword". I'm sure that it's meant to but have no easy test to prove that it is so at the moment. There's also an assumption that Ahsoka has Weapon Master but I feel this one is not arguable.

So Ahsoka would do 8D+16(5) or 44 pts with a (5) divisor and even Mando's limb armor showed no signs of imminent failure. So it's at least DR 45 with 3 levels of Hardened and quite possibly more. It doesn't stop everything as Mando is seen to react to stopped hits. Perhaps it's an effect of weapons with the "Surge" modifier. They might require a HT roll to avoid being briefly stunned.
I had a thoughts that lightsabers should have a lower base damage, but higher AD - they seem to cut through almost anything, but it needs to have an external force behind any cutting or impaling damage.
Jedi, of course, can get all sorts of cinematic adjustments to their damage with lightsabers.

Quote:
TL10 Combat Hardsuits have DR 75/45 so add the Hardened and you can say that beskar is at least that good. Of course, nothing equivalent to regular TL10 Combat Hardsuits has been seen. I can't remembr off hand any scene anywhere in SW visual canon of "armor" stopping or eeven blunting a blaster shot.
Most SW armor is just a tough enviro suit. Even the best non-beskar armor is only going to help against low-damage attacks (glancing blows, shots at max range, melee attacks).

Quote:
Speaking of "armor" we see a new failure mode for Stormtrooper armor. On two occaissions a downed trooper is finished off with a melee weapon attack with the impact point just off camera. Fragments of a shattered Stormtrooper helmet are seen to fly both times.

The first was with the Mandalorian Smith(Shaman?) and her hammer might have been beskar but we have no way of telling if that adds special effects to a blunt weapon. teh second time was Boba Fett with a thing Tusken raiders make out of scrap metal that's probably equal to a Gurps Warhammer.

I'm not sure how much damage over DR is required to shatter a helmet but it certainly doesn't argue for a high DR for the helmet. My best match for StormTrooper armor so far would be a non-flexible version of TL 10 Ablative Nanoplas with DR 6/36.
As I said above, most SW armor is just a toughened enviro suit, because let’s face it, blasters can pierce (almost) any physical sapient-being-portable armor.
Stormtrooper armor plates may be not only cheap, thin, and no frills, but semi-ablative, too. I would write up their armor as an enviro suit (the black body stocking underneath) plus a whole-body version of the clamshell torso (but cheap).

Quote:
There was actually a second new failure mode. Trooper armor doesn't protect against flamethrowers either. Mando's wrist-mounted flamethrower doesn't match up well with the Flamers in UT. It's more compact and has a shorter range but probably more damage.
Stormtrooper armor isn’t sealed, so the plates aren’t much use against area attacks - only the enviro suit underneath helps, and high-temp wide-area fire is not common enough to bother adding protection for billions of troopers.

Last edited by DemiBenson; 01-15-2021 at 09:05 AM.
DemiBenson is offline   Reply With Quote