View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 08:16 AM   #1
Fred Brackin

Default Gurps: The Mandalorian

So, I viewed with the last ep of season 2 about a week ago and have been contemplating various things and how they would fit into Gurps since.

(Spoiler warnings!)

We can start with a biggie:Beskar armor. What is it? It's a thing that looks like a Combat Hardsuit but has not been seen to be penetrated yet. I think the most powerfula ttack we've seen Mando's armor stop so far would be Ahsoka Tano's lightsabres.

We start out with a difficult to prove assumption that a SW "lightsabre" equals a Gurps "Force Sword". I'm sure that it's meant to but have no easy test to prove that it is so at the moment. There's also an assumption that Ahsoka has Weapon Master but I feel this one is not arguable.

So Ahsoka would do 8D+16(5) or 44 pts with a (5) divisor and even Mando's limb armor showed no signs of imminent failure. So it's at least DR 45 with 3 levels of Hardened and quite possibly more. It doesn't stop everything as Mando is seen to react to stopped hits. Perhaps it's an effect of weapons with the "Surge" modifier. They might require a HT roll to avoid being briefly stunned.

TL10 Combat Hardsuits have DR 75/45 so add the Hardened and you can say that beskar is at least that good. Of course, nothing equivalent to regular TL10 Combat Hardsuits has been seen. I can't remembr off hand any scene anywhere in SW visual canon of "armor" stopping or eeven blunting a blaster shot.

Speaking of "armor" we see a new failure mode for Stormtrooper armor. On two occaissions a downed trooper is finished off with a melee weapon attack with the impact point just off camera. Fragments of a shattered Stormtrooper helmet are seen to fly both times.

The first was with the Mandalorian Smith(Shaman?) and her hammer might have been beskar but we have no way of telling if that adds special effects to a blunt weapon. teh second time was Boba Fett with a thing Tusken raiders make out of scrap metal that's probably equal to a Gurps Warhammer.

I'm not sure how much damage over DR is required to shatter a helmet but it certainly doesn't argue for a high DR for the helmet. My best match for StormTrooper armor so far would be a non-flexible version of TL 10 Ablative Nanoplas with DR 6/36.

There was actually a second new failure mode. Trooper armor doesn't protect against flamethrowers either. Mando's wrist-mounted flamethrower doesn't match up well with the Flamers in UT. It's more compact and has a shorter range but probably more damage.

More to come later.

Last edited by Fred Brackin; 01-15-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Fred Brackin is online now   Reply With Quote