View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
mcv

Default Re: Enhancements to Magery

I'm still not sure what I think of Magery enhancements that modify the effect of mana level. The fact that Magery allows you to cast spells in normal mana, whereas without Magery you need high mana to cast spells, suggests that it might be part of Magery, but I'm not sure.

Like RedMattis says, Magery is basically I kind of talent. It boosts spells, it's not the spells themselves. Shouldn't you have some kind of enhancement on the spells themselves?

See, if you have Magery with the "ignores mana level" enhancement, your spells still don't have the "ignores mana level" enhancement. Someone without Magery would still benefit from extremely high mana levels. Why should the spells of a mage be limited by an enhancement on an advantage?

My feeling is that the only acceptable enhancements and limitations to Magery are those that influence the conditions where Magery provides its bonus. for example:
  • only for prerequisites (doesn't provide skill bonus)
  • only for skill bonus (doesn't count for prerequisites)
  • only provides its bonus during the night (but during the day, you can still cast spells in high mana areas)

I can't even think of a proper enhancement. Perhaps an area effect would make everyone around you temporary mages?
mcv is offline   Reply With Quote