View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 09:02 PM   #39
whswhs

Default Re: When did traps get silly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
For instance, I've always been a highly extroverted, non-traditional, liberal-minded improviser – the sort who likes do-it-yourself punk music, makes career choices based on feelings, just kisses the girl, cooks without a recipe, invents cocktails, and is now deeply invested in a fully improvised dance with no standard patterns.
The only one of those that applies to me is "cooks without a recipe," and only some of the time. In fact, one of my principles of roleplaying is that rather than having my characters carefully analyze what they're going to do, from a position back inside their heads watching what's going on, they tend to charge in and do what their impulses tell them—which is often what my impulses suggest they might do. But that's precisely because I do live in my own head a lot, and so I'm taking the opportunity to play someone very different from me.

Quote:
I've always attracted likeminded people who preferred to ad-lib quite literally everything. That includes those I game with: We're gaming for the laughs and socialization, and there's no "power imbalance" in the first place because I just let players alter "how things are" as takes their fancy . . . which makes having a laid-out, mapped, planned version of how things are seriously uncool.
I wouldn't say that I never do that. For example, I once ran a session of Hellcats and Hockeysticks, an RPG based on St. Trinians, for five women friends, where pretty much everything was sheer improv—and we all had a great time. But my dominant style is at the other pole. I used to say that when the first session of actual play started, the best part of the campaign was over!

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote