View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #8
Plane

Default Re: Hypothetical: Thoughts on Regrowth after normal healing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
Say a character was in an accident and lost a leg. They have the lame (one leg) disadvantage. Later in the campaign, if they obtained the regrowth advantage and regeneration, would you allow them to get rid of the lame disadvantage (paying it off of course) or would that be impossible as the stump is long since healed before the regeneration power was obtained
Regrowth never says anything about requiring an open wound to work, but if it did then putting a token wound on the stump wouldn't be that huge an impediment. You could add Trigger: Injury for -15% and just do a 1 HP pinprick to get a minute's worth of regrowthing.

If the question is "do I need regrowth at the time of severing to regrow, or can I get it later and retroactively un-permanent a permanent wound?" then I think GURPS Powers has a precedent for that.

P51:
Those who can only heal themselves have Regeneration (p. 70) or
Regrowth (p. 71). An Affliction (p. 39) with the Advantage enhancement can grant these traits to others, however, and serve the same purpose as Healing.
P71
It’s possible to use Affliction (p. 39) with the Advantage enhancement to give someone else Regrowth – but this is too slow to be useful unless the subject also gains (or already has) Regeneration.
P128:
Healing doesn’t permit attacks as such, but does allow Afflictions that are useful to healers (GM’s decision). Suitable enhancements are any form of Advantage that bestows Regeneration, Regrowth, or another healing related trait;
The implication seeming to be that if an allie's lost a limb, you can use Affliction: Regrowth to temporarily give them the ability the regrow the limb.

Of course, with the months-long regeneration cycle you'd need a very long duration affliction or else need to be constantly topping up the affliction's duration, unless you accompanied it with Regeneration which can speed up Regrowth.

You could get instant results probably cheaper by using the "Negated Disadvantage" enhancement, but that would mean whatever limb you temporarily gave them would go away once the Affliction ends.

If it's possible for Affliction: Regrowth to regrow previously-lost limbs then I don't see why you couldn't do the same if you later acquire the Regrowth advantage.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote