View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #7
Plane

Default Re: Mixing kinds of Magic

[QUOTE=Fred Brackin;2287943]
This would not effect default Magic and usually not its' derivative systems like Threshold or Ritual Magic as outlined in Basic either. The efficient build will have 1 pt only in each Spell. Maybe 2 in Enchant.

It's probably even worse for systems where you actually do buy "spells" as Techniques. You very, very quickly reach a point where it will always be cheaper to buy up the Skill everything Defaults from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
If you want to change that and make people spend more cp and/or jumpt through a lot of hoops to be able to do magic you run the risk of everyone saying "I'm going to play a Barbarian! Or maybe a Swashbuckler."
I guess the problem is there isn't really a way to stop people from taking the "I'll just pump my IQ" or "I'll just pump my magery" or "I'll just pump my college" approaches unless those are made more expensive too.

"Extending the Rule of 20" (T73) at least is an option for stopping the "I'll just pump my Thaumatology" long-term approach for casters.

Maybe since -4 to cast a spell for missing a prereq entirely, some smaller penalty could exist if you have a prereq not trained up? Like -3 if there's only 1 point in it, -2 if 2 points, -1 if 4 points and -0 if 8 points?

One major hole in the skill system is how One Spell Magery costs 2/level so it's the cheaper investment (with other side benefits, like extending effect) past the initial 1 point in a skill. The only limits are whether or not the GM allows it to be purchased, and also that Magery can be targeted by different spells (like Drain Magery) than spells which target skills, though it seems like the Magery-targeting spells are harder to cast than the Skill-targeting spells...

The downside of the Ritual Magic system I guess is that a skill-targeting spell could target your College Skill and kill ALL of its techniques in a single go... whereas against traditional magic you could just target 1 prereq spell low on the chain and give all its dependent spells a -4.

Last edited by Plane; 09-29-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote