View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 12:07 AM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Some questions about Path of Magic ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engurrand View Post
I normally consider your opinion on RPM matters to be cannon, but with all due respect, that seems like needlessly contortionist logic. Should an anti-vampire ward stop protecting against a vampire if they turn into a bat? No of course not. Turning into a bat is an expression of vampire powers, just as throwing a fireball is an expression of magic.
Not really convulated at all - this is simply how missile spells work in most cases in GURPS - there is a line in MH1 in the damage section that matches that. That said. I'll cast Greater Create Crossroads and summon PK.

Quote:
But let's set aside for a second the metaphysics consideration of what is or isn't a spell. That's got to be up to the GM, and based in the world-building IMHO.
It could be yes.

Quote:
My players oft note gurps can be unintuitive, and the ones who don't play witches occasionally remark that RPM borders on OP. I'm getting a sunburn just imagining the blazing squint-eye my non-rpm players would turn on me if I let the party witch ignore an anti-magic ward with a spell called "magic missile."
So "magic missile" in this case (assuming a DnD context) is a direct damage dealing spell because it always hits. So it's an HT or Will roll vs. Path skill. Success would mean they take damage.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote