View Single Post
Old 05-24-2023, 09:12 AM   #39
Varyon

Default Re: Why do demons and devils want souls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovewyrm View Post
Cause the concept of a daemon has been corrupted by abrahamic culture displacement and I guess daemons were too folkloric and close to divinity to be allowed to remain good things.
From my understanding, the Hebrew word shedim was essentially a term for "foreign gods," and this got translated into Greek as daemon, as the two concepts were pretty similar (the shedim are also the basis for the Islamic djinn), but at the time there was a big emphasis on dualism (from Zoroastrianism), so they gained a negative connotation as they were essentially "gods who aren't God" (putting them in opposition to God, which under dualism would mean they were on the evil side of things). But that all seems fairly divorced from the topic of the thread.

I will admit, however, to liking the concept of demons being a bit more neutral. You could still have such demons have need of souls - indeed, if going with the shedim as "foreign gods," and using the (modern?) concept of gods requiring worship, it may be that the demons need souls - either outright or in the form of dutiful worship - because they are minor gods, and gods need such to survive/grow powerful/etc.

Last edited by Varyon; 05-24-2023 at 09:41 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote