View Single Post
Old 03-29-2023, 09:44 AM   #32
Cyclone

Default Re: Transhuman Space/Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'd honestly be more concerned that cheap antimatter would make Helium-3 madness irrelevant and negate the high ground advantage that the Duncanites rely on. Good lasers don't help either (i.e. build orbital solar power plants for Earth, shove objects around the solar system).
He3 madness doesn't make any sense, with or without cheap antimatter. It's a complete contrivance. Nor do I care if the Duncanites are completely expunged from the setting - there are a few thousand of them in a solar system of billions.

I mean, look. The actual logic of Transhuman Space's space development is incredibly loose, optimistic, and downright incorrect at times. That's fine - you'd have to push the timeline back by 50-100 years in order for that level of development to be plausible imo (well, less what happens to Mars), and that'd mean you'd have to significantly retard the development of computer and gengineering technology, deal with the big demographic changes, etc.

But it also means responding to a discussion of the consequences of Earth access to Pandora by nitpicking the second order effects of the tech is a bit like questioning how, exactly, these giant meat-eating dragons are supposed to find anything to eat in Westeros when the place clearly lacks sufficient excess agriculture to support more than a handful of cities across a continent the size of South America. Any story I care to tell is about who's going to throw in with the Targaryens, not the diet of their dragons.
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote