View Single Post
Old 05-15-2022, 03:12 AM   #144
David Bofinger

Default Re: Show me the magic!

There are lots of superpowered spells in TFT that in most campaigns won't get used. I'd like to see weakened forms of them. Here's a rough outline of a much weakened form of Word of Command.

The speaker can give one command to maybe one listener or maybe to many listeners. (Maybe this is two different spells.) The command has to be something the listener wants to do but is resisting the temptation to do now. If the command takes more than a turn to execute then the caster can pay a maintenance cost to give the victims time to finish. The victims probably get some kind of resistance roll, which is easier if they aren't that tempted. Examples:
  • If a fight is going badly for one side, or that side has members who aren't really keen on fighting generally (e.g. conscripted farmers) then "Drop your weapons," or "Run away."
  • If the enemy commander is a tyrant and his soldiers hate him but are more frightened of him (or frightened of what he'll do to their families) then "Frag your officer."
  • If one enemy is down then "Give your friend first aid," might work on someone with qualifications.
  • In a social situation, "Punch that guy in the face," if they were someone the victim strongly disliked, or "Kiss me," used by someone attractive.
In each case this is something the person has good reason to do and good reason not to do and the spell makes them forget the reasons not to do.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote