View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #57
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Show me the magic!

And here's one for grown-up Wizards:

IQ 17 -- SUMMON BRIDGE (C)

Summons a Bridge 3 hexes wide to span any two points horizontally. Costs 1 ST per 10 hexes in length, and lasts 1 hour. The Bridge appears to be of stone, and includes 3 foot high walls along both sides. Horses will not be afraid to use a Bridge.

Multiply the ST cost spent on length by the number of hours desired for a longer lasting Bridge. For example, a 30 hex long Bridge for 3 hours costs 9 ST (30/10 times 3). The Bridge appears to "flicker" from solid to transparent 5 minutes before it expires; this can be disconcerting if you are on it at the time, and horses may become skittish, but it does remain solid until it actually vanishes. When it does vanish, anyone on it immediately plummets the distance into whatever lies beneath.

Unlike most Creation spells, the Bridge will last until the time paid for expires, even if the wizard who cast it dies. (Otherwise a whole party might be stranded and lost on the wrong side even though only the wizard got killed.) The Bridge also vanishes the instant the wizard wills it away, much to the woe of any pursuers that were still crossing.

Some truly advanced enchanter has no doubt figured out a way to make a Bridge permanent, or to appear and disappear on a schedule, or when certain conditions are met. Crossing an enchanted Bridge you didn't put up yourself might not be the safest thing to do.