View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
MichaelK

Default Simplifying Gurps Space world creation

I've been tinkering around with the world creation system in Gurps: Space, which is a lot of fun but takes forever.

I've been working on two approaches to make it easier which I wanted to share.

Using Calc, the Open Office version of Excel I've been creating a spreadsheet which automatically builds a system. I'm up to step 23 of the advanced worldbuilding system.

The question I wanted to ask is whether I can give this spreadsheet away here on the forums or if that has copyright issues. (It just gives raw data without interpretation so you really do need a copy of Space for it to make sense).

Also, after noticing some patterns emerging with the spreadsheet, I've created a much simpler version of the advanced worldbuilding system, which creates an entire solar system of planets that you can develop using the basic worldbuilding system.

It's not as accurate or detailed as the advanced system, but if you prefer the ease of the basic system you can use this to build an entire star system with just the basic system (steps 1-14).

This is still a work in progress, so any feedback is welcome so that I can improve this system.

The Simpler System

Each star has 12 orbital slots. If it's a main sequence star with its inner radius determined by mass then this is what you'd get if you automatically selected 1.7 for each orbital ratio. You may lose some of these slots based on companion stars.

For each step, select an option either deliberately or using whatever random chance method seems best.

Step 1: Select Number of Stars and Companion Type.

Single Star

One star without any companions. Generate a set of planets with a full set of orbital slots.

Close Binary

Two stars that are quite close to eachother. There are no planets nearby due to the forbidden zone, but a set of objects can orbit the pair at a greater distance. Only generate one set of planets and remove the first 1d6 slots.

Distant Companion

Two stars that orbit eachother at quite a distance. Their Forbidden Zones have no effect upon each other. Generate two full sets of planets.

Medium-range Companion

Two stars orbit eachother with their planets in between. Their Forbidden Zones prevent outer planets from forming in each system. Generate two sets of planets but subtract 1d6 of the outer slots from each.

Close Binary with Distant Companion

Generate one set of planets, subtracting the first 1d6 slots, for the close binary pair. Create a complete second set of planets for the distant companion.

Close Binary with Medium-range Companion

Generate one set of planets, subtracting the first 1d6 slots, for the close binary pair and 1d6 of the outer slots from the forbidden zone of the nearby companion. Create a second set of planets for the medium companion but subtract 1d6 of the outer slots.

Medium Trinary

Three stars circle eachother at medium distance. They each develop their own set of planets but the outer ones tend to be missing. Generate three sets of planets but subtract 1d6 of the outer slots from each.

Distant Trinary

Three stars that are close neighbours, but don't interfere in eachother's business. Generate three sets of planets.

Step 2: Select Temperature for each Star

Hot

High luminosity as compared to its mass. This is typically seen with older stars or with F type stars.

Medium

A medium system enjoys a nice ratio between luminosity and mass. It provides a spectrum going from warmer worlds nearer the sun out to cold planets in the far orbits. You tend to see this more with G type stars. Basically it's an Earth/Sol like system.

Cold

High mass compared to luminosity. You'll generally have colder planets. This is typically seen with younger stars or M type stars.

Step 3: Fill the Orbital Slots

Pick a planet type, empty slot or asteroid belt to go in each slot.

If it's a terrestrial world, then you can select from the following options.

Slot 1

Hot: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Chthonian), Large (Chthonian)
Medium: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Chthonian), Large (Chthonian)
Cold: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Chthonian), Large (Chthonian)

Slot 2

Medium: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Chthonian), Large (Chthonian)
Cold: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Chthonian)*, Large (Chthonian)*

Slot 3

Medium: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Chthonian)*, Large (Chthonian)*
Cold: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Greenhouse)*, Large (Greenhouse)*

Slot 4

Hot: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Greenhouse)*, Large (Greenhouse)*
Medium: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Greenhouse)*, Large (Greenhouse)*
Cold: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Greenhouse)*, Large (Greenhouse)*

Slot 5

Hot: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Greenhouse)*, Large (Greenhouse)*
Medium: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Garden/Ocean), Large (Garden/Ocean)
Cold: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Garden/Ocean), Large (Garden/Ocean)

Slot 6

Hot: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Garden/Ocean), Large (Garden/Ocean)
Medium: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Ice)*, Large (Ice)*
Cold: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Ammonia or Ice)*, Large (Ammonia or Ice)*

Slot 7

Hot: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Ice)*, Large (Ice)*
Medium: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Ice), Large (Ice)
Cold: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Ammonia or Ice), Large (Ammonia or Ice)

Slot 8

Hot: Tiny (Rock), Small (Rock), Standard (Ice), Large (Ice)
Medium: Tiny (Ice/Sulfur), Small (Ice), Standard (Ice), Large (Ice)
Cold: Tiny (Ice/Sulfur), Small (Ice), Standard (Ice), Large (Ice)

Slot 9

Hot: Tiny (Ice or Sulfur), Small (Ice), Standard (Ice), Large (Ice)
Medium: Tiny (Ice or Sulfur), Small (Ice), Standard (Ice), Large (Ice)
Cold: Tiny (Ice or Sulfur), Small (Ice), Standard (Ice), Large (Ice)

Slot 10

Hot: Tiny (Ice or Sulfur), Small (Ice), Standard (Ice), Large (Ice)
Medium: Tiny (Ice or Sulfur), Small (Hadean), Standard (Hadean), Large (Ice)
Cold: Tiny (Ice or Sulfur), Small (Hadean), Standard (Hadean), Large (Ice)

Slot 11

Hot: Tiny (Ice or Sulfur), Small (Hadean), Standard (Hadean), Large (Ice)

Slot 12

Hot: Tiny (Ice or Sulfur), Small (Hadean), Standard (Hadean), Large (Ice)

*Can be terraformed to Standard or Large (Garden)

Step 4: Develop the planets

Develop each of the planets using the basic worldbuilding system. (Steps 1-14)
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote