View Single Post
Old 04-02-2021, 04:23 PM   #1
larsdangly

Default Hexagram #6 pdf release

I'm stoked about the release of the pdfs for Hexagram #6, Old School Monsters and Adventures v.2, and if you've seen them I'll bet you are too. Here's a thread to kibitz over the details. Here's an unprioritized list of some immediate things I'm vibing on:

- The wide range of deeply weird and dangerous things we normally might categorize as nuisance creatures (plants, bugs, slimes, molds, etc.). I love those sorts of things, as they pose threats and puzzles that are so different from the standard beast with an axe, so a bunch of new ones is going to make for a bunch of fun events in my upcoming games.

- Lester Smith's fencing rules are great - honestly, quite a bit better than I expected, given the mixed bag you often get from house rules in zines. Lester clearly is a fencer, and clearly understands how you play test new rules to make them work as a game, as opposed to just a granular white-room exercise. This looks like it will actually be exciting at the table. What it most reminds me of are the fencing rules from Flashing Blades. I'll be play testing a bit this weekend, but already have some thoughts about little bits of chrome to bolt on to make them even more dynamic and applicable to some other weapons (quarterstaff, longsword, etc.).

- I haven't fully processed the adventures yet, but on a first glance they look like a perfect complement to the stack of GB adventures we have - where our existing suite of modules are relatively narrative, these are kind of weird, stand alone things with freaky settings. What they most remind me of are the adventure-like episodes from the Elric of Melnibone stories, which frequently take place in micro-settings that are other worldly and quickly leap from start to violent crescendo without a lot of intermediate gears.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote