View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 12:04 PM   #36
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [Spaceships] Hull size of Falcon...

I just got access to Disney+ for Christmas and have been watching 1 episode per day of The Mandalorian. I was trying to hold out for watching all the current eps before I got into "Gurps:The Mandalorian" but then this old thread with a lot of stuff about ship sizes pops up.

I've been looking at the Mandalorian's ship and we get to see enough of it close up that I suspect there's a full-size mock up.

From thsoe looks I'd estimate it as being the size of medium-largish helicopter and not quite as large as a CH-47

"Chinook"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_CH-47_Chinook#Specifications_(CH-47F)

Maybe 80% of that size. It's definitely smaller than a RW Space Shuttle (100 tons).

Anyway, the CH-47 has a maximum take-off weight of 25 tons which puts it in Spaceships SM+5.

I did a rough design for the Mandalorian's ship and it comes in okay at SM+5. You can't have a regular Habitat module but you could have one in as an oversized system and there is at least a toilet and I'm sure you could ahng a couple of hammocks somewhere.

The reat was quite simple. It appears to be a pretty simple vehicle. 3-6 armors (Light Alloy because it sure looks like aluminum to me), a Control room, a Medium battery of weapons, a power plant, 2 reactionless thrusters plus 2 FTL(Hyperdrives) for neatness and you've got room left over for cargo and possible multiple layers of not very good armor.