View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #4
Donny Brook

Default Re: is having or lacking a soul a 0pt feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
M154 (soul jar) requires having a soul,
The text for that spell is not very good and leaves a lot open to question. But it does not specify that the target must have a soul or the converse that targets without souls are immune. Rather it appears to assume that any target has a soul.

Quote:
...which made me wonder if there are any creatures it would not work on, or mechanically what a soul is actually supposed to be.
The text gives no assistance on that, so it falls to the GM to interpret.

Quote:
Substantially I'm wondering if the soul might be something like an insubstantial body (with HP?) that the consciousness might move to. Like how "Spirit Form" or "Projection" work. Or maybe it's just like the base form of Possession (not "Spiritual" limitation meant to be paired w/ Insubstantiality) where the new body you inhabit is your only body? In that case "shock" and "knockdown" and so on would then apply to damage done to your jar? Or maybe you effectively have High Pain Threshold and IT : Unstoppable to ignore wounds?
All up to the GM.

Quote:
In thinking about who you might not be able to use Soul Jar on, I thought perhaps Zombie since M154 says "does not have the “soul,” mental traits, IQ-based skills, or memories of the living person" but that could just mean it doesn't have the SAME soul, like maybe the spell creates a NEW soul?
I think you mean M151. This seems to identify more gap in the rules and perforce falls to the GM to define.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote