View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 05:26 PM   #250
Rupert

Default Re: Independent Income at later TL stages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
That puts Average hourly income at $20/hour at TL 8, which at first I thought was high, but a bit of online research indicates that's roughly where "middle class" was defined in 2004. So, ~$2000 per month, and CoL of $1000 per month, making Starting Wealth worth around 20 months - 1 year, 8 months - worth of savings. That sounds workable - but again, you're looking at less spending money during play for employed PC's ($1000 per month instead of $2000 per month).
For people of Average (and under) Wealth, living at an appropriate Status, spending money should be quite limited. We're talking about the range where, even if not living paycheck to paycheck, people have to choose between expensive hobbies and savings. Most of their money is spoken for, and unless we assume the standard CoL involves living like a monk, CoL should eat up most of their income. So far that's been true for Status 0 and lower people since forever.

I think CoL should be a constant fraction of your expected income, regardless of TL. What it might do is scale up more slowly than income as you become wealthier, though partly I think it's that Status and Wealth become less closely linked past about Status 2, and also that even with only 10% of you income free for whatever you like, with a large enough income you can get to the point where the marginal value of extra spending money has dropped quite low.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote