View Single Post
Old 05-28-2020, 08:17 AM   #39
Andreas

Default Re: Nitroglycerin invention date and TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
I tend to be generous when allowing a player to spend a dabbler perk or a full point on new skills.
A player that, in game, spend time to get a couple familiarities, followed a basic training session and practiced a bit is certainly entitled to spend the first cp in the skill.

If the player doesn't have the cp to spend ... then I will require the full hundreds of hours of practice, formal teaching, and probably parcel out the evolution along a dabbler perk first.
But if he choose to coalesce his life experience (the cp earned adventuring) into the skill, minimal requirement are more than enough for me.
If they don't have cp to spend, one way to keep skill gain in check while still giving a realistic effect of getting better with some familarity (other than using familarity penalties) would be to temporarily give the benefits of a dabbler perk.

For example, the player says that that he will spend some time practicing with the unfamiliar object before a competition. Sure, that practice won't be completely useless just because he can't or don't want to spend cp. Just that what the character learned will quickly fade unless they spend the time (or cp) needed to solidify it.

Last edited by Andreas; 05-28-2020 at 08:22 AM.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote