View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 11:05 AM   #15
Michael Thayne

Default Re: Opinions on cinematic martial arts skills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I'm having trouble thinking of a wuxia/anime setting where Gurps' 1 FP/use obsession works. Pretty much anyone who can leap with superhuman ability does a _lot_ of it.

That's just for Flying Leap but at least getting 3x the jumping dstance is useful. Even if you can get Breaking Blow to work it isn't.

Just to remove the need for anyone else to mention there is an option in Martial Arts to get rid of the FP cost for Flying Leap but it lowers distance to 2x.
Do you mean the option to waive the FP cost if your margin of success is 5+? Admittedly it can be combined with the option to get only a 2x distance multiplier for +5 to skill, though relying on that trades off against being able to jump instantly without skill in the high teens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanjo7Sagi View Post
The problem for me with this line of argument is that it would turn GURPS into something like D&D 4E: everyone does the same things, just change the fluff. Nothing is really unique.

But I understand the complaint: you need to have both DX and high IQ for certain character types to work (like ninjas). You can try Talents, yes, but for some, the problem will remain. Not to mention the part that is a very different mechanic from the normal rest of the system.
I would not necessarily want a system of chi powers that uses exactly the same system as Psionic Powers, but I don't think getting rid of exotic skills in favor of chi powers would make it "just like D&D 4th edition". What was so obnoxious about D&D 4e is that everyone used the same mechanics even when this made no sense with the fluff. Psionic Powers, Divine Favor, and Sorcery all offer subtly different approaches that fit their respective concepts even though they're all powers-based systems. Even if you only have a single system of powers, GURPS offers the flexibility for any given character to focus more on powers or more on mundane skills—whereas D&D 4e insisted giving even fighters and rogues "powers" that made no sense in-story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
I agree that most of the time wuxia martial artists are just superheroes by another name. Skill is generally a non-factor until two such fighters are in a direct contest. But that's true of a lot of media, skills work 100% of the time until two people with the same skill duke it out. Unless its specifically a story about a student or apprentice or such that can't do things reliably.
One example I can think of of "martial arts" abilities working somewhat the way cinematic skills do in GURPS is when the Bride digs herself out of being buried alive in Kill Bill. It's clearly a feat at the very edge of her abilities, and includes a dramatic flashback to her training of the sort I suggested in the OP. But I agree that sort of thing is quite rare in fiction.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote