View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 06:09 AM   #18
Lupo

Default Re: [DF] Bardic power modifier - Singing or Playing? / Usefulness of Druids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog
I'm looking at mine right now too. There is no option. It might have become changed to one version or the other.
I doubt they removed an option... Btw I thought I downloaded the latest version.

Quote:
Isn't that covered by layering rules? Lets just say DR4 for armor and DR2 for tough skin. An attack with a poisoned dagger does 5 damage. The dagger reaches just enough through the armor to scratch the skin. There is no injury, but there is poison.
My point exactly. If the attack deals less than 5 damage, or more than 6 damage, Tough Skin is irrelevant. It becomes relevant only for attacks dealing *exactly* 5 or 6 damage.

Quote:
Or maybe you should exploit it a bit more? Either way is a valid option. If you don't exploit it at full value once in a while, it certainly should count as less.
You are assuming I don't exploit it... why? I can assure you I do exploit it. If by "exploiting" you mean that "each and every attack should be poisonous", then I think this is unfair.

Quote:
EXTRA -20%. Extra. As in -20% more than Elemental.
Sorry, my bad.

Quote:
Elemental is the same discount as "Very Common." To me that means that it covers a "very common" set of events. As in broad. I think you have an unreasonably narrow interpretation of "Tough Skin." We might have to agree to disagree on that point.
I am interpreting Tough Skin by the RAW, we are disagreeing on how common are threats that bypass it, not the "broadness" of Tough Skin itself.
Elemental is a "very common" category, if you compare it with other "very common" examples (all melee attacks, all ranged, all physical attacks) you will see that "any physical or energy attack loosely related with elements, including metal" is too broad.
Specifically, I'd be ready to bet $100 that, by RAW, Elemental does NOT include metal.

Quote:
I'm trying to tell you that there are ways to make sure that Tough Skin is cheaper because it is inferior.
Yes and they're called "cheating" or "adversarial GMing".

Quote:
So yes. Tough Skin the way you are playing it might only be worth -10%. My players get a full -40% out of the deal.
Again, you assume that I enforce Tough Skin in the "wrong way". I don't know what convinced you of this, but I can assure you that I've always played it by RAW. That's not the point...