View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
Stone Dog

Default Re: [DF] Bardic power modifier - Singing or Playing? / Usefulness of Druids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo
My copy of DF3 includes "Damage Resistance 1 or 2 (Tough Skin, -40%) [3 or 6]" as well as the "limited: crushing" version. I am looking at it right now, so unless it got changed...
I'm looking at mine right now too. There is no option. It might have become changed to one version or the other. I'll concede that point willingly and as such, go ahead and say that Barbarian DR can protect against some of the threats previously listed.
Quote:
Note that you'll have ordinary armor on top of natural Tough Skin. I do use those options and they occasionally come into play; other times, the poison don't penetrate ordinary, "full" DR, or conversely it penetrates so much that DR is irrelevant.
Isn't that covered by layering rules? Lets just say DR4 for armor and DR2 for tough skin. An attack with a poisoned dagger does 5 damage. The dagger reaches just enough through the armor to scratch the skin. There is no injury, but there is poison.
Quote:
I am not saying that Tough Skin isn't a limitation, I am saying it should be worth -10%.
Or maybe you should exploit it a bit more? Either way is a valid option. If you don't exploit it at full value once in a while, it certainly should count as less.
Quote:
Tough Skin is worth -40%, not -20%. This is why I am saying it's a VERY good deal, compared to other kind of Damage Resistance.
EXTRA -20%. Extra. As in -20% more than Elemental.
Quote:
This seems to be an unreasonably broad interpretation of "Elemental".
Elemental is the same discount as "Very Common." To me that means that it covers a "very common" set of events. As in broad. I think you have an unreasonably narrow interpretation of "Tough Skin." We might have to agree to disagree on that point.
Quote:
Strictly speaking, *everything* is (supposed to be) made of the 4 elements; that's the very definition of "elemental".
Pretty much, yes. However, I'll say that once it gets to the "Plants and animals" stage of matter the mystical Elemental nature is nicely diluted.
Quote:
Even if they do, Damage Resistance (Tough Skin) is superior and cheaper, so I can't understand your point...
I'm trying to tell you that there are ways to make sure that Tough Skin is cheaper because it is inferior.

All something needs to do to get past Tough Skin is to do damage with a gentle touch or produce even a cinematic amount of blood. Expand that a bit more than a poison dart or an electric shock. It doesn't count against; fire, acid, frostbite, caustic gasses, steam, sand in the eyes, hot pokers or being slowly crushed by rocks. Elemental in my games protects against all of these things by virtue of either; being directly related to the element in question, being directly derived from the element in question or showing up on the elemental spell lists in some form. I admit, I might be pushing it on the frostbite thing, but I'm running with it.

Tough Skin doesn't discriminate about what you are getting whacked with, though. Bones, claws, sticks and the like are blocked just as easily as swords and knives. However, you DO have to get whacked with something.

So yes. Tough Skin the way you are playing it might only be worth -10%. My players get a full -40% out of the deal.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote