View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #13
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Clarification: Talent Skill Choice

An "all weapon skills" Talent at 15 points would probably be reasonably fair. One of the not-so-hidden truths of weapon skills is that most people don't actually take more than a handful. What I typically see is this: main Melee Weapon skill, Fast-Draw for that (if allowed), off-hand or backup skill (Cloak, Knife, Main-Gauche, Shield, etc.), main ranged combat skill, and Fast-Draw for the ammo (if allowed). Once those skills hit their stride, that's 20 points per +1 to all five . . . and a level of DX is just 20 points, and also gives +1 to unarmed combat tasks, +0.25 to Basic Speed, +1 to all DX-based noncombat skills, +1 to all DX-based defaults, and +1 to a wide range of generic DX rolls (including many that can't be raised as skills). All that other stuff arguably provides much of the value of DX.

At 15 points/level for just weapon skills, I think there would be relatively few takers unless there were a cool alternative benefit – players would favor DX +1 [20] and Basic Speed -0.25 [-5] if they could get away with it. What the cool alternative benefit ought to be is hard to say. Something like +1 damage per level would be a little too good. "Includes one Weapon Bond per level" could be attractive, as at level four you'd really have +5 to all the weapon skills likely to matter, making the real cost per +1 more like 12 points than 15 points. And it seems in-theme that "good with all weapons" includes "good at picking the perfect weapon for you."
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote