View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 04:40 PM   #7
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default Re: Teleport Other and Wizard Eye, or other methods of long-distance scrying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Divination (see Crystal-Gazing, frex, for a classic form of scrying).
That shows you a vision which answers a question you have, but it isn't generally a direct view of something that is actually happening, but rather a somewhat ambiguous collection of symbols which require interpretation. That is a lot more common in both myth and fiction than straight-up remote viewing, but the latter does feature in some stories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I'm not sure why you dismiss Projection, since it's pretty much the way traditional clairvoyance (and other senses) work.
Needing line of sight to the point of view is a harsh requirement which doesn't feature in any stories I'm aware of. With enough fatigue and vision-enhancing spells you can eventually get something like classic clairvoyance by just choosing a point of view high in the air so you can go 'beyond the horizon' and then zoom in with Hawk Vision, look inside buildings with Glass Wall, etc. but you have to layer a lot of spells to get the kind of effects which are relatively common in stories.