View Single Post
Old 03-11-2016, 08:53 AM   #16
Icelander

Default Re: Modern Monster Hunting Guns [XM500, MICOR Leader 50, etc.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Well that loss in velocity would seem reasonably close to the loss in damage suggested by the general rules in TS we talked about earlier.
Yep. But I'm not sure whether I should increase Rcl and ST as well. Other .50 BMG rifles than the M82A1 have been statted with ST 14 and Rcl 4, probably acounting for lack of muzzle brake and/or floating barrel. I wonder if a 20" barrel bullpup .50 BMG could be ST 15 and Rcl 5, or if that's excessive.

Quote:
But yes it certainly going to be loud etc..
Obnoxiously and awesomely so.

Quote:
I guess the thing is .50 BMG is just designed to be fired from full length barrel.
I'm currently looking for data on how .408 CheyTac and .416 Barrett perform from 16"-20" barrels.

Quote:
The closest I can fin in real life to what you initial describe is those Bush master conversion kits for those big straight hunting rounds on the AR carbines
There are a lot of AR-15 uppers available in pi+ calibers, but surprisingly, much less in AR-10.

I would think that an AR-10 rifle built for the 45 Raptor cartridge would be ideal for monster hunters. You can get a 20-rd magazine that is the same size as a regular .308 magazine, but instead of shooting through werewolves and wendigos with a light, speedy bullet of 150-170 grain, you can hit 'em with a 300 grain expanding one.