View Single Post
Old 11-26-2022, 01:45 AM   #2
Kaslak

Default Re: What skills for building machines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Some of the "New Inventions" section in Basic Set is a bit confusing, and there isn't much about things that aren't new inventions.

If B is helping A to build a machine that A already knows how to build, what skill does B need - does it have to be Engineer or will Mechanic do? And what skill does A need?
I think for building it depends on what you wish to build, and you might need to refer to the skill description. Building seems to me in a gray area between design and repair skill groups (e.g. Electrician explicitly allows building, while electronics repair does not).

My approach would be : in general, note that that engineering defaults to the corresponding repair skill at -6.
You could argue that building under somebody else's direction (that must have passed his own engineering roll), when you have all the parts and tools, is a routine engineering skill task (+4) resulting in Mechanic -2 (including the default -6 from the technician's skill). You can take extra time to offset the malus, if the engineer is not too impatient.

Things might change (or require additional tests) in the following cases, where dedicated technician expertise might be needed:

If you need to create tools (something that would fit in a workshop), as part of or as prerequisite for the invention, or mechanically modify parts you might also consider Machinist.

Note that it is also mentioned explicitly in the skill description, that Machinist rolls might be required "before attempting an engineer roll to assemble the gadget", In my opinion, that could also apply to existing inventions, if you cannot simply use standard size pipes, flanges and screws, or whatever is needed for the invention from the market, for whatever plot reason.

If it requires also to work raw metal to create the individual machine assembly parts you might need Smith, and a reasonable amount of time.

Armoury is the specialized skill for weapons and armored vehicles.

Last edited by Kaslak; 11-26-2022 at 02:02 AM.
Kaslak is offline   Reply With Quote