View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
silverjoker

Default Alternative ability, free points?

Ok, could someone explain what is the real purpose of ''Alternative Ability''. How it really works cause except for one specific situation or two, I find it totally unbalancing.

Say, if you buy a fire attack (5d burning bla bla bla...) and you mention that as well as overheating the place you can chill it. Then you can purchase a cold attack (5d burning bla bla bla...) for the fifth of the price.(As a part of a temperature control power) Sounds good. Since anyways you'd make a five dice attack and you can adapt it so it worth point but not the full for the attack.

But for an unrelated effect like a laser beam (5d burning bla bla bla...) turned into blinding ray (affliction blinding bla bla bla...). Isn't it unbalanced to save 80% of the cost just because crippling one ability would cripple the other.

Plus, there is many other ways to craft this effects. Selectivity, Variable, Link... Which all have a balanced cost. So why?

I must have miss something of this rule cause it is totally alien to me. Please tell me what you understood of this rule!
silverjoker is offline   Reply With Quote