View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
kdtipa

Default Shotguns and RoF... is there a better way?

For firearms that have rates of fire listed with the multiplier ("3x9" being the example the book uses), I'm a little... unsure that I like the way it's handled. So I'm fine with using the normal "shots fired" rules. If you fire more than once, you apply the recoil rules as normal. Then you multiply the number of shots that hit, by the number of projectiles (the second number in the multiple, or the "9" in the example). I assume the second number is the probable number of pellets or whatever that are assumed to hit (lots more pellets come out, but only the 9 hits the intended target). I'm okay with that I guess.

The next part in the rules on page 409 of the basic set:
Quote:
At extremely close range, multiple projectiles don't have time to spread. This increases lethality! At ranges less than 10% of 1/2D, don't apply the RoF multiplier to RoF. Instead, multiply both basic damage dice and the target's DR by half that value (round down).
So if I have a Pump Shotgun like the one listed on page 279 of the basic set, with a based damage of 1d+1 pi-, and I hit with one shot outside the 10% close range, I'm doing 9d+9 pi-? That's all counted together before subtracting DR? For realism I think I'd want to roll the 1d+1 damage, and apply the DR to each of the 9 pellets that hits. I don't think I'd want to roll each one and figure out each one separately... but that would be one more step toward realism in my mind. Anyway, am I understanding the rules correctly? Would I just be rolling 9d+9 pi- damage?

Now inside the 10% of 1/2D range... I'm multiplying the base damage by half that value, but I'm also multiplying target DR by half that value? So closer means the damage goes down? Fewer pellets hit? And the DR is more effective? I'm probably really confused... but even the example in the book sounds like I might be close.

And if I am... isn't there a better way to do this? Why not skip the half and max ranges? Just have a range increment, and within the first range increment, "all" the pellets hit (again, 9 in the example), and one fewer hits with each range increment until none hit. I'd say maybe use 5 yards. Within 10 yards, 8 pellets hit; within 15 yards, 7 pellets hit; And so on.

I'm still not sure I like the idea of combining the damage before DR... I'd have to think about that one. But anyway... Am I understanding the default rules correctly?
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote