View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #59
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: How should i run monsters?

[QUOTE=Opellulo;2366615]I'm currently running a Witcher based fantasy campaign with novice players and one of the challenges was to introduce them to the different Gurps combat system and flow. Many come from Pathfinder where the combat is just rolling damage dices until your opponent drop dead.

I planned three different combat encounters to teach them the basics:
- A group of bandits (for movement, basic actions... and also to show them that most enemies will flee given the chance ;)
- A pack of wolves (for environmental combat, all out attacks and close combat options)
- And the next fight will be against 3 wights to introduce them to injury tolerance and targeted attacks (since their are frail the best strategy is to amputate them)

Crawl before you can walk, walk before you can run.

The "Wight is iffy as there are at least three "off the shelf" types of "Wights" in GURPS: Blood Types (which is also a vampire with a [306] version...ouch), Undead's ([-69] converted without any of the Lenses) and the one in Fantasy ([80])

This is what I meant about there not being any. "canonal" way to do things in GURPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opellulo View Post
Honestly an Hydra seems a really complex monster to handle: multiple heads, attacks, regeneration, superior size and reach so i would not start from there but everything depends on your party experience.
I agree with this especially in a gritty setting as is planned. In fact, I would avoid anything with combat relevent exotic advantages until the players are at least familiar with Combat Lite.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote