View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 02:06 AM   #30
Celjabba

Default Re: [HT] Grenades fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Last time someone tried to throw back a grenade in my game, it turned out to have a 1s fuse, so the would-be thrower lost their hand.
I played for a while a superhero (well, super anyway ... hero is debatable) using grenades and teleportation... So lots of opportunities for grenades shenanigans. The grenade ping-pong happened in that campaign.

In non-super setting, I cannot remenber someone succeding at a grenade reverse thrown. Although a PC did try in a WW2 game, with unpleasant results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Sounds like mostly "Make more rolls during combat thus slowing things down". Okay. Not what I prefer so I'll stick to hand waving it.
You need to balance "realism vs complexity" in a game for tactical awareness, like every other options in Gurps.
But if you decide not to use situation awareness rolls, you shouldn't complain that the characters absolute awareness is unrealistic.
That said, hand-waving it is a fair middleground, as long as your player are ok with it.
A player state he is looking for trouble and/or have danger sense or another suitable advantage and/or there is good visibility and little ambient noise : he notice the grenade in time to react.
A player is AOA another target and/or concentrating on something and/or have a suitable disadvantage and/or visibility is poor and tehre is a lot of noise: he doesn't notice the grenade in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Alright, it's the games I've been in and run. But if this is not the standard, I'd like to hear how other GMs kept PCs from just walking away from grenades (or deal with anyone they suspected were cooking one off).
In a WW2 game, grenades were mostly used against people in cover, both by and against players. If they walked away, they would lose that cover and get mowed down.

In an action/horror campaign, I used grenades against my players to clear a room before entry. They actually decided to stand their ground, only one reacting fast enough to dodge behind furniture.
Amazingly, they all survived with minor injuries and welcomed the opposite force with concentrated fire.

Players only used grenades twice in that campaign : once by stealth and from behind, the other with a player throwing a grenade inside a plane that was taking off. (yes, they stole the idea from a movie. can't remember which one.) And no, their opponents did not walk away ...

The games (not Gurps) that saw the most grenades uses were actually Star Wars games, way back. Thermal detonator were (ab)used a lot.

Last edited by Celjabba; 01-08-2020 at 02:10 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote