View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #8
Mister Ed

Default Re: Munchkin CCG Prerelease Event Impressions

My son and I attended the event at Guardian Games in Portland, OR. It was great. We are big Munchkin fans, and it was fun to be able to surprise him (he didn't even know that Munchkin CCG was a thing before we walked up to the table. He just thought we were having another Father/Son trip to the game store).

I will second how amazing it was that we got a free starter pack (since there were two of us), as well as getting something I didn't think I'd ever see again, NEW Munchkin Jumbo d6s (we have so many, I thought I'd seen them all, but here was one in a new color combination). Plus we got the pack that came in the starter, and my son was really happy to get an alternate art Gazebo card, in duotone.

He had fun playing even though he lost, too, which is always a reliable sign of a good game, since he can sometimes be a...let's say extremely frustrated...loser.

I will almost certainly get the other two starters when they are available. How many packs we end up buying will depend greatly on how many family members enjoy the game, and how much.

One thought I had, though, is that it will be kind of unusual for a CCG if SJGames sticks to the same policy for this as they do for Munchkin. I've never experienced a CCG before where people weren't allowed to freely quote card text when discussing it, and in fact I've never seen a CCG where IMAGES of all the cards were not available on-line (usually on the company's site), for people to strategize and plan decks in advance before going out and trying to acquire the cards they need to make them. I think that kind of free-flow of information about the available cards may be critical to the success of a CCG (though I admit my "knowledge" on that score is based only on my personal experience with other CCGs, not any kind of experience with making or distributing one).
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote