View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 07:45 AM   #35
aesir23

Default Re: Duelling in Spaaaaaaace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Firearms[...]
I just remembered something I saw a 19th-century Italian book detailing rules and etiquette for dueling that I think is relevant to this discussion. (I wish I could remember the source, it was something a friend in my HEMA club brought to class on day).

It listed three appropriate dueling weapons and, interestingly it listed them in order of lethality. From least to most lethal:

1. Smallsword
2. Saber
3. Pistol

The manual specified that the choice of weapon lethality must be appropriate to the severity of the insult.

A similar thing seems like it would work rather well in a SF setting. If it's a minor insult, you can settle it in the ring with some shock gloves. If it's a major insult, then you can face each other with blades (or, if you're in the glactic navy, they have a quaint tradition of EVA dueling in the vacuum of space with a vibroknife just powerful enough to puncture a spacesuit)--either way extremely dangerous, but probably not deadly with a med-bot on hand. Only in the most extreme cases, where the insult is truly unforgivable, is a duel with plasma pistols (specially modified to fire only a single shot) at 50 yards appropriate.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote