View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #11
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Skills of the week: Bicycling, Driving and Piloting

Driving has probably seen the most purchasing in the campaigns I've played in, but even then it was mostly about getting to a destination, and was usually Automobile or Motorcycle (long before it was known to play card games on the latter). Piloting for spacecraft would be next, usually with the "crew" set-up so that worst case scenario, someone was looking after something at default while the skilled character(s) were busy.

A lot of this was the settings, plus as I often stress, 3e. Running Skill gave a movement bonus back then and any of the settings advanced enough to have a collapsible (or similarly portable) bike tended to have other elements that made it a low priority for whatever utility it offered, especially in light of those times you just knew you'd be better served putting those points into Acrobatics, Climbing, Hiking, Jumping, Running and/or Swimming.

In real life vehicle access is pretty important; skill too (I realize that most people worldwide use the default). I've lived in the Midwest my whole life, so I can't tell you about the driving hazards in other parts of the U.S. but here you've usually got towns that are spread out and there aren't convenient ways to get from one to the other except by driving. If you live in one of the major cities, its not too inconvenient, but anything less and either you're assumed to have a vehicle (that you can drive) or are "that person" always getting rides (sadly right now I am one of them). From daily inconveniences to getting along with local regulations to simply enjoying life, access to a good automobile is pretty important.

Bicycles aren't too bad in some areas, but only when the towns are relatively close and with easily traversed territory between: I grew up not too far from a really small town but as I lived on a farm with at least two miles of gravel road before hitting pavement, neither I nor any of the people I knew farther out bothered trying. On the other hand youth living in said really small town sometimes would bicycle to a reasonably large college town that was 5-10 minutes away by car (and thus 20-40 minutes of bicycling, I think).

This does bring up a somewhat important drawback of using bikes versus automobiles: it is often a workout. Depleting fuel can often be easier than running down your own FP, and if you have gotten at least a bit of a work out you'll need to wash up if your character (or in real life, you) are going any place where that would be an issue, and may make you more detectable in "adventure" scenarios. Still better than walking, of course.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote