Thread: Create (Food)?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #21
PK

Default Re: Create (Food)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
Divine Favor has the 'Feed the Masses' Learned Prayer, which is Create Food/Drink, priced at [20] Points per Level, with a few modifiers, and the Feature: Restriction against using this for convenience or personal gain replaces the need for a creation pool.
This is correct, though I'd strongly encourage anyone using this to first read the description of the ability -- it's very harsh about what "convenience or personal gain" means. You can't even use it to replace buying rations in town.

The reason for the Creation Pool is to offset the problem that most Create spells cause: the potential for infinite wealth. No matter how many FP you have to pay for the privilege, any permanent creation effect can lead to the problem of: "Okay, I make $10 worth of gold. Now I rest for a while. Repeat. I spend a month doing this and I'm a millionaire." Charging character points for value is what makes that (nearly) impossible to abuse.

So really, as long as you have an alternative way to avoid that problem -- or if you don't see it as a problem to begin with -- you can dispense with the Creation Pool. Divine Favor's "Feed the Masses" ability avoids it with a fierce restriction on how it can be used. Similarly, I've had a player buy Multimillionaire 1 and explain that her PC's "job" is using Create Minerals to bolster their wealth every once in a while. (In other words, we embraced the wealth building as part of her character concept.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote