View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
thulben

Default Re: GURPS Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
That was pretty clear on my first pass through the book.

The interesting thing about Impulse Buys is that it (optionally) changes a feature of GURPS that has been pretty fundamental to date. It's always been a game where you needed to consider consequences fairly carefully, to be "realistic" in accessing your chances when doing dangerous things. Luck, Daredevil and the like gave you better odds ... but it was still a matter of odds.

The tricky thing for a GM who lifts those limits with Impulse Buys is going to be setting the budgets to keep his players from going utterly wild.Their problem is going to be budgeting their rule-escapes. A few disasters are inevitable.
I haven't picked up the book yet, but I have plans to. My guess is that the next game that I GM, I'm going to give out points at the beginning of the session with the expectation that some or all of them will be used for Impulse Buys. To paraphrase from above, a 232 point character who's alive because s/he spent some points on converting to successes when necessary is better than a 250 point dead one.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote