View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 09:28 AM   #79
Varyon

Default Re: Meteoric iron immunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Depending on the magical mumbo-jumbo used, I could see a Gate allowing free passage of magically null materials, anyway.
Certainly! I was going off of the way Kromm described it working for DF. To review, let's take a pair of meteoric iron shackles. If you toss them through a Gate, there's no effect - the shackles stay in their current location and thud to the ground. If you restrain someone with them and toss said person through the Gate, both the shackles and the person (and anything the person has in their pocketses) stay where they are, without teleporting through the gate. If you instead place the shackles in that person's backpack and chuck them through, they, their backpack, and the shackles will all teleport through the Gate to the destination. I'm not certain if tossing the shackles-containing backpack through would work or not - I suspect it would by Kromm's guidelines.

FWIW, I'd personally be inclined to have everything but the shackles get teleported through the Gate in each of the above cases. To transport meteoric iron in an instantaneous fashion, you'd need a type B Gate from your description, which I'd have be markedly more difficult to manage. But, that's not the default for DF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
(Perhaps that's why this iron is so dead to magic. Mana in that absurdly old universe succumbs, just like everything else. So not only does this iron not have any - zero Kelvin, zero Thaums -- it'll soak up ambient mana just as it'd soak up ambient heat until the iron gets back to being normal iron.)
I like this idea. I think the webcomic DMFA does something similar - in that, materials with no magic are markedly more effective against Creatures (basically, the class of sapients that are inherently magical, such as demons; null magic weapons treat them as Beings, the human-analogues), but interacting with magic causes some of it to kinda rub off on the material (which makes it really hard to get items with no magic). As one character describes, you then need to remove the tainted layer for it to be effective again, so you eventually end up with daggers instead of swords.