View Single Post
Old 12-17-2021, 12:13 PM   #3
hal

Default Re: I'm starting to hate THE WITCHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
It could be that supernaturally-strong creatures, rather than having that strength active 24/7 instead have a switchable strength they call upon when needed?

That way when it's off it wouldn't resist knockback.
Interesting thought. Frankly, I've never really liked the game mechanics in GURPS 4e for knockback. ST-2 seems to be an odd way to calculate what is necessary for knockback, but hey, them's the rules as writ.

The switchable strength idea does seem to have an issue where it comes to the following:

1) when Geralt strikes with his sword or punches with his (steel?) knuckles, the striga goes FLYING big time. Then again, it almost looks like an attempt to emulate 4 color comic books, but - I'm going to have to read the books to maybe get a better feel for this.

2) The Striga's strength is shown only for a short duration - the fight between the Striga and Geralt. So how would it make sense for the Striga's ST (and hence hit points) to switch on during an attack, but not be on during defense against an attack?

In point #2, it would almost seem as though the Striga may have unkillable, taking/absorbing damage that would kill natural creatures, but not be killed by mortal hands. Add in the idea that the striga's attacks are "powers" rather than strict melee attacks, and we can have a linked power that increases knockback, maybe additional damage - all as a function of the supernatural attack rather than strictly a "mass based natural attack".

Thus perhaps, Normal ST for a Striga may be say, 12, but has enhanced attacks that deal an additional 1d6 cutting damage? Toss in does double knockback attack and maybe it works? When used as "impaling" attacks, the Striga's attack may not gain the bonus of +1d6 swing damage. **shrug**

I can't make the Striga too weak, as it was able to hang upside down from (presumably) the top of the bed canopy and then slash the poor guy's chest open in a manner not unlike SILENCE OF THE LAMBS.

In the end, my best friend gifted me a set of the first three books of the series - largely because he had to buy the COMPLETE series. The most cost effective method to buy the complete series resulted in his owning two sets of the first three books. That implies to me, that he REALLY liked the first three books - darn it! I'm half afraid to get bitten by the same bug!

Ah well, time will tell. Three books to read, possibly play the game on the Xbox 360, and possibly looking at the RPG that came out in 2018 for THE WITCHER. I find it highly ironic that the WITCHER RPG is based on the mostly the same game system as Cyberpunk 2020.

Thank you for the thought Plane, it got me to think in alternative paths.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote