View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 01:56 AM   #24
Icelander

Default Re: C-130 Hercules/An-12/Short Sunderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I really don't know. After the Soviet Union falls An-12s are going to be dirt cheap, just like all the other ex-Soviet kit. Their downside is the high maintenance hours and higher fuel costs. OTOH, they don't require as skilled workers as US kit usually does.
Requiring less skilled workers is somewhat of a benefit, as that might allow crew and security who have mechanical inclinations or prior job experience (several established NPCs had some relevant MOS/Rating in the USCG, Navy or other militaries) to do some of the work. The fewer dedicated aircraft mechanics needed as full-time staff, the better, especially as there are rather a lot of crew and security who spend most of their time training or on alert, and might well be able to pitch in with maintenance at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Another option, and they were in use in the area as civilian passenger aircraft until the 70s, is civilianised versions of the Short Sunderland. Big, long range, huge endurance. Without all the military hardware (guns, turrets, bomb racks, etc.) and the normal flight crew of 'only' five they should have plenty of capacity for 10-15 guys and their kit. They'd want a collapsible/inflatable dingy for wilderness craft to shore work, given the size of a Sunderland, to make things a bit easier, but again - plenty of room for that.

EDIT: And now that I re-read your post, I see that you mention this option.
That could work, especially if they do not require vast runways.

In general, aside from amphibious aircraft or seaplanes, what are good TL7 transport aircraft that are simple, robust and capable of operating from modest airfields?

Because I'll need at least one type that can take PCs (and other occultists afraid of machines that are too modern) distances of 1,000+ miles without spending an eternity in the air.