View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 08:15 AM   #30
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Brazilian Secret Monster Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
In addition to steel, I'll note that you can order solid silver beads from jewelry supply catalogues that are pretty close to the size of 00 buckshot. They usually have a small hole drilled through them for stringing on a necklace, but that shouldn't make much difference. With that and a shotgun shell loader, you can make your own silver shot for use against werewolves or anything else vulnerable to that metal.

Luke
That's pretty cool.

I've actually never featured anything in my campaigns yet that is vulnerable to silver. The PCs have never met classic werewolves or any shapeshifters. They suppose that it's theoretically possible, through a variety of supernatural methods, but as previous campaigns have been set between 2009-2013, nothing as blatantly supernatural as humans that turned into animals ever appeared 'on screen'.

Given how low Mana most of the Earth still is, even now, most 'werewolves' would probably be humans with some switchable animals characteristics, not full-blown shapeshifters. Only at a highly unusual confluence of ley lines, very powerful Place of Power or within a Vile Vortex could there be enough magic around for that to happen.

Granted, while prior campaigns have mostly been set in modern urban areas where some subtle weirdness could take place under certain conditions, the current one is set largely within a Vile Vortex, in the Caribbean, so there is the potential for much more overt supernatural phenomena. And another Vile Vortex is located just outside of Rio de Janeiro, which means that the Brazilian monster hunters will have evolved into being facing far more powerful supernatural manifestations than you could see almost anywhere else in the world.

Which, I suppose, could well include were-critters. Some of them might be fey creatures changing shape through glamour, which would make them vulnerable to iron instead of silver, but there might be other forms of were-creatures that are indeed vulnerable to silver.

Does anyone know Brazilian, Latin American or Caribbean folklore about monsters that are vulnerable to silver?

Last edited by Icelander; 04-17-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote