View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #17
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Clarification: Talent Skill Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
Maybe a wider reaction bonus, perhaps one that can even be applied vs opponents in combat to make them think twice about tangling with someone just that good at using weapons. (I haven't read every single thin in the Basics book, so I have no idea if this is a thing in GURPS.)
A situational bonus to Intimidation, Fast-Talk, and Diplomacy rolls seem appropriate, when dealing with your combat skills.

"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Going with my policy of always having a mix of base attributes in the skills of a talent, I'd definitely throw in appropriate Armory specializations, Expert Skill (Hopology), Connoisseur (Weapons), and a bonus to Merchant but only when haggling over weapons.
I'd also throw in unarmed combat skills. If you're much of a Master-At-Arms with weapon skills much of that is going to translate directly to unarmed skills as well. In fact, most styles include unarmed skills because there are times when you have to grapple or punch, even if you are armed with a weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
If the talent was restricted to pre-gunpowder weapons, I'd still charge 15 points but I'd expand the secondary skills and Merchant bonus to "... and armor".

If restricted to post-gunpowder weapons... hm. Interesting problem.
Guns already default heavily to one-another anyways, so it really doesn't matter if you're talking one guns specialty or all of them. And once you get to gunpowder weapons the usefulness of archaic weapons goes down considerably. Yeah, there are times when a knife or a bow might come in handy, but they're fewer. There are even fewer times when a broadsword or a polearm are going to be of use to you.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 05-28-2018 at 11:31 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote