View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 08:42 AM   #25
The Colonel

Default Re: Create Food and it's effect on infrastructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
I have the same problem with the elves, but not with the dwarves.
Yes, the cool place to be, for them, is underneath the mountains, extracting ores and working metals. But there will always be an open-air over-the-mountains place above their mines. And among the species that suffer less from altitude and cold you have mountain goats and barley.
Yes, the movies don't feature scenes of dwarves tending the goats and harvesting barley. But after all, dwarven VIPs don't go there, they are the kings, renowned swordsmiths, famous dragon-slayers who all stay in the well-known underground halls.
Maybe the goat herders are human slaves or the none-too-bright dwarves. We never see them. But then again, did the first series of Downton Abbey feature a lot of scenes in Yorkshire mines?
...that's fair. Possibly the dwarves could even drill out onto the face of the mountain and cut terraces in places otherwise inaccessible. Actually, if you've solved the dwarf lighting problem, underground agriculture may not be so big a problem. I have to say that in my games of Dwarf Fortress, cats always played an important role in the food chain...

Mind you, I've long had a desire to run dwarves as a combination of Elder Scrolls and RuneQuest - the biological ones are long gone, with the remainder uploaded into "those scary automata that you always find in dwarvern ruins". Bonus points when the PCs find out what the highly sought after "dwarvern powerstones" actually are...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote