Thread: Ideas for Yrth
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 07:01 PM   #25
Astromancer

Default Re: Ideas for Yrth

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
[edited for spelling]

I think that he is implausible for the setting as written [for both Yrth and Technomancer]. I think that a more reasonable character would make for a better story buy having the canal be more of a challenge to build which would give more opportunities for the PC's to help or hinder.
The guy is a construction mage with engineering chops. He's basically a Johnny-one-spell stretched out to cover the Earth College. There's no evidence that he has diplomatic skills, a wide range of spells, or many other traits needed to pull the job off. Plus the guy as written also needs surveyors and scouts even if he didn't need those areas of help. Plus land rights in a medieval society are complex. I did some limited coursework on the legal issues of road building in medieval England. It was a nightmare even in peacetime. And remember, even with Denerel dead Caithness isn't really at peace. If Denerel was alive, no canal could be built period. All kinds of people will fight to own/control the canal or destroy it if they can't profit.

P.S. Thank you for the correct spelling of "implausible." I knew I was misspelling the word, but I was so far off my spell check couldn't figure out what word I wanted to spell.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote