View Single Post
Old 08-24-2022, 08:00 AM   #11
TGLS

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

I don't have much opinion on the first question, apart from 1 should be marginalized as much as possible. To explain through an example, let's say I wanted to make Star Trek but fantasy, I wouldn't take something like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer La Forge
Captain, we need to extend these multispectral energy wave-guides to shutdown this multispectral resonance interface!
And turn it into:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmage La Forge
Captain, we need to exorcise these mystical energy warblers to dispel this mystical resurrection interface!
Star Trek doesn't become fantasy when you replace all the nonsense words with other nonsense words, and stop pretending that the made-up rules are possible.

With Stargate, this applies only more so, as mystical things already have a larger presence in the setting. People should be looking at stargates saying, "It's amazing the Ancients created such stable and versatile magical artifacts." not, "It's amazing the Ancients had such understanding of wormholes." If you really want to emphasize that, have gates really easy to make, but have none of them go anywhere useful.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote